Friday, June 26, 2009

Rest in peace, King of Pop.


Michael Jackson: A King and a revolutionary.
I'm going to write an obituary.
After hearing the breaking news of Michael Jackson's death yesterday (via Twitter and Facebook), I was still reeling from the shock as I walked into the journalism room today. I was tired as I plopped down onto the couch, and was musing the concept of death when one of my managing editors came by and informed me:
"You're going to cover Michael Jackson's death on one of your pages."
As much as I'd liked it to have been, it was not a dream; I was to write an obituary for a man who my generation only remembered as one thing: a freak.
To add to the weight, I was asked to remind everyone of who he really was; a pop icon and a rousing performer. For a generation that wasn't even conceived at the height of his fame, how was I supposed to turn their heads and let them see the true face of Jackson, behind the numerous plastic surgeries and the shiny gloved hand?
I can only compare the magnanimity of his death with that of probably Elvis Presley, but even then that would be cutting the point a bit short. Although Presley died at the height of his career and the pinnacle of his success, Jackson died on the eve of coming back, after a tumultuous time away from his career. While Presley died being remembered for his great music and his charm, Jackson died with scandal and controversy surrounding him.
Yet, we cannot forget Jackson's contribution to music, his revolution in music video with Thriller, his precision in dance and song (trust me, I've tried learning the Thriller dance quite a few times, it isn't as easy as it looks) and ultimately, his life.
To make one generation remember, to allow another generation to learn.
That is my task at hand.
I just hope I don't screw this one up.

3 comments:

  1. kevin, you'll do a great job. i believe in you. (: i totally understand your perspective, though... i mean, i didn't want to say anything bad about him when all of those controversial situations were surrounding him, either. in the end, he was truly a legend, an icon not only to pop music, but to ALL music, so i like how you understand that, too. i know you'll do a great job with this obituary cartoon. (:

    -debs

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry that i had to comment w/ my LJ account (which i never use)... i tried commenting anonymously, but it wouldn't let me, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, kevin! this blog itself made me excited for next year with you as an entertainment editor. you got it, no worries. i already feel like you're doing the job.

    ReplyDelete