Monday, June 22, 2009

Pride and Personal Prejudice



As I fill out my application for the Herb Block Foundation JEA Student Cartoonist Award, writing in my best cartoonist handwriting (aka ALL CAPS), I got this fear in my chest that made me put the pen down.
I remembered Herbert Block's cartoons, and how they were so opinionated about big things, how sharply drawn they were, how the issues he was tackling were so much bigger than mine and how I was incompetent. Mostly that last part.
I look at my cartoons, and I see my coloring over the line, I see my failure to properly blend shades of cool grey, my unerased pencil lines and my messy lines.
I don't think I'll win this, to be honest. I still fill out my form regardless. I guess it never hurts to try.
But it will hurt if i don't win.
For sure.
Sorry, Mr. BLock.

No comments:

Post a Comment