Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Change [feat. Addiction]

"Here's the thing about change. Sometimes you think you've changed, but you've just traded one addiction for another. And sometimes that's the best you can hope for."
-Jack Bourdain, "Kitchen Confidential"


Coming back from college orientation, I was honestly really excited to go to Thurgood Marshall at UCSD. After all of the bickering and the moping I had done about not being able to go to the University of Puget Sound, I found the environment, philosophy and energy to be a perfect fit for me. The campus and the Orientation Leaders just completely swept me off my feet and changed my feelings about attending UCSD.
As I cleaned up my room after wrapping up the campus tour and so many fun presentations and icebreaker activities, I found that almost all past regrets, feelings of anger and bitchings about going to school there were all moot. Everything I had seen, all the people I had met- they all contributed in large part to the entire experience at TMC. This was the community I would be enveloping myself in, one of fierce school spirit and rigorous scholastic work, I affirmed.
All of my negative feelings had suddenly been replaced with pure positivity and I loved it. Then, and even now, I cannot bring myself to feel negatively about going to college (well, except for being nervous).
In short, my feelings had changed.
In an earlier post, I talked about change being unexpected and this experience only convinced me further of the tide-like nature of change. The above quote (from a wonderful sitcom that you all should watch) also reflects my feels about the change; how the negative feelings I clung to so were all "replaced" by excitement and energy. I couldn't have said it better.
Change is here. The water is only lapping at my ankles but I can feel the roar of the ocean, ready to lash out and drag me in, washing me in my new freedom, my new schedule, my new atmosphere, my new room/suitemates, my new everything, and I am definitely still nervous.

Good thing I dressed in trunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment