Monday, June 28, 2010

Combination post- Days 2, 3, 4: Love, Light and Dark

Your high beams flooded the street suddenly, clunking to life and leaving me blinded by the light for a split second.

Your silhouette slowly cut into the white screen, and soon the darkness followed, framing the high beams in two intersecting rings of light. Your shadow split into multiple figures on the pavement, each frozen in the same stance, with arms hung down their sides like the silhouette that cast them.

And as I came to recognize your frame, my heart began to pound and my eyes began to water; my stomach began to flutter and my mouth turned dry. You jogged over to where I lay on the road, out of breath

"I-I ca-"

scrambling, grabbing blindly at the pavement around me, unsure of what to do,

"I can't-"

wiping some of my blood onto your fingers

"I can't see you" I gasped, my voice distorted by the dryness in my throat and the blood that was gushing out my mouth

And you picked me up, cradling me in your arms, whispering Please don't go, please don't leave me alone, please don't let me be alone

"I can't see-"

Please. I want you to stay. Please. Please. Please

My eyelids fluttered

Stay awake. Stay with me. Stay

I took a large breath

"I'm going to die"

It was barely audible, a whisper under the loud roar of the motor and the screaming white of the headlights, but he was taken aback; his eyes wild with anger and

Don't say that

soaked with grief

Please just stay

And he held me closer, holding my head to his chest, smearing blood on his jacket

And I closed my eyes, taking in his scent, the safety and comfort I was feeling in his arms, his tears dropping on my head, his heart throbbing a bit too quickly, his voice sobbing

I love you

over and over and over and over until

I slumped in his grip, my head landing on his arm. And he was squeezing me tightly, his tears ceasing as I dove into darkness, falling through the dark abyss as I approached the shining beacon at the end of the tunnel

I'll always love you

No comments:

Post a Comment