Sunday, September 12, 2010

Paul Conrad, in memoriam


“The important thing is that we continue to fight for these things [freedom, democracy], so that we have a country that is enviable because we, as a democracy, are the makers of our own destiny, the destiny of our generation, and for many more generations to come.” - Paul Conrad, ‘I, Con’

“Paul Conrad died.”

My mom informed me (rather bluntly) of his death a few days ago. At the moment, I took it in slowly, mumbling, “Oh,” and proceeding to walk off without so much as a second thought.

Today, my dad was organizing and found a book, which he gave me. It was “I, Con,” Mr. Conrad’s autobiography and the book that had introduced me to him. And as I held the book in my hand, I remembered him. I opened the book and saw poignant and detailed political messages arranged with skill and precision; words and images juxtaposed to call politicians out on their blunders. I remembered receiving the book my sophomore year and reading in awe all the Presidential terms he lived through, the 21st century he saw and wanted to correct.

This, I now remember, was the man who inspired me, who I modeled my own cartooning style after. I credit this man to helping me win various cartooning awards at write-off competitions at the local, state and national level and for giving me the brief dream of becoming an editorial cartoonist. Without him, I probably would have struggled as an editorial cartoonist on the Spartan Scroll; I would have lacked not only the skill and the passion required for the job. He does for my cartoons what Geoff Boucher and Bill Plaschke did for my personality features, and I regret not being able to meet him while he was still with us to tell him this.

But thank you, Mr. Conrad, for your contribution to modern cartooning and for showing me that we can all have voices that resonate far and wide, we just need a pen and a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment